Knowing the importance of the environment, we have embarked on sensitizing the public about how to maintain a green free environment. An effort is being done by involving all stake holders and through the mentoring of children through the GBEM clubs that we have created in schools and women clubs in villages.
The Rwenzori Region has Traditional Villages with a range of National Parks surrounding the Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western sides. The area enjoys a good ecosystem. 'Mountains of the Moon' also known as Mount Rwenzori is covered by snow at an altitude of 5109M ASL. This area receives a large number of tourists from all over the world. However, we have seen the snowline moving upwards.
There are a number of environmental problems have been identified by Educate A Child International in the area:
1. Gradual Encroachment into the most sensitive areas.
2. Illegal Activity (timber felling, sand mining, hunting, poaching).
3. Heavy usage of insecticides, pesticides and chemical fertilizer.
4. Unsustainable Home Garden Management.
5. Large numbers of domesticated animals being released to the sensitive areas.
6. Spreading of invasive plants.
7. Mythical beliefs and incorrect identification of animals (not distinguishing rare and endangered ones from common ones).
8. Road Kills.
9. Massive and irresponsible tourism.
10. Lack of environmental education.
Taking the above facts into consideration, Educate A Child International has recognized that the value of a proper environmental education campaign is needed to educate the community within the area, thus minimizing the adverse impact on sensitive habitats. These community based environmental educational programs will focus on local farmer organizations, businesses, schools and the local governing authorities. Special attention will be given to design a tailor-made the educational program’s to attract the younger generation towards the conservation, as they are the guardians of the local natural resources.
With the proper education and awareness, programs directed towards the young adults will motivate them towards environmental conservation as well as sustainable use of the abundant resources of the area. Successful completion of this project, will enhance the environmental knowledge, change the attitudes towards sustainable, utilization of natural resources, improve environmental management skills of local communities for better conservation of natural resources in their surroundings, and improve the Human Welfare factor.